Friday 14 November 2014

Ulcerative Colitis and Nicotine Replacement Therapy, a personal experience

I decided to write this post because I wanted to share my experience of using Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) to help with my Ulcerative Colitis (UC).
I have left sided UC which was in an active flare up for over 2 years. I am on pentasa and imuran which weren't inducing remission. I was steroid dependent.
I started taking one NRT 4mg lozenge per day, and within a month my flare up symptoms had cleared up.That was two months ago. 
Based on my experience NRT may be worth a try for those who have UC. I am still taking all of my regular meds.
I found a lack of information on the topic on the web from people who had actually tried it, despite the fact that there is an acknowledged link between smoking and a protective effect on UC. I don't smoke, so NRT was the next best thing!! 

I hope this helps someone who may be seeking answers. Please feel free to comment or ask me a question.

<3 DubLife!! <3






No comments:

Post a Comment